You finally decided to go for camping this year! First thoughts? What camping gear do I need? You are so determined to have the time of your life in camping, so proper gear is essential!
On to the woods, to the lakes and mountain tops! You are almost there! Let us help you out by providing an essential list for your camping gear!
First of all, congratulations! Your good mood equals to 50% of fun.
The list you are about to read is adjusted according to your needs and what you have in mind in terms of comfort, safety and well being while in camping.
Make sure to subscribe to our Newsletter, since we produce lots of articles regarding outdoors.
Where are you heading?
We are asking (and you should ask yourself) as the wild/free camping style is different from going in an organized camping area. In free/wild camping you need a few extra things. Each has its charm of course, and when we talk about “pleasure” we know it has a different meaning for everyone.
If you are about to camp near a lake, river or beach is different than camping inside a forest or in mountains.
So, the least basic things to have in mind when choosing your camping gear are:
- Where are you going and how well organized are things there
- How long you plan to stay
- How many persons consist your team
- What are you planning to do while there (i.e. activities)
Answer these to yourself so to be able to make your primary list. Depending on the answers here are the groups of things you (may) need.
Inside the camping
- A camping tent, along with poles and ropes to set it up
- Base layer to place it on the ground. Your tent will be set on top of it
- An additional tent/extension if you want more shade. This is adjusted over your sleeping tent
- A hammock
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad
- Repair kit for the tent and sleeping pads/bags
- Air pump (if you use inflatable sleeping pad
- Pillow (there are inflatable ones too)
- A multi-tool and/or knife
- Headlight or regular torch (and extra batteries)
- A daypack (if you plan activities outside your camping area)
- Folding chairs
- Folding table
- A portable fridge (ice or electrical one)
- A hammer
- A rope to hang clothes to get them dry
- A bicycle and a bike trailer (if you plan to do such)
- A pair of gloves
If you plan to stay near the sea
- Inflatable SUP / sea kayak
- Fishing gear (and related permit)
- Fins, mask, life jacket and related safety equipment
- An elastic tent or sun umbrella
Clothing and shoes
- Swim suit
- Anti-UV clothing
- Quick drying trousers/shorts
- Long sleeve shirts (good for sun and insects)
- Sandals (trekking type)
- Special shoes for getting into sea/river water
- Depending on the climate conditions you may need:
- Appropriate shoes for the camping terrain
- Long underwear
- Insulated jackets or/and vests
- Insulated trousers
- Water resistant clothing (jacket and pants)
Food and cooking
- Gas kitchen
- Rotisserie (coal or electrical or powered by sun)
- LPG cylinders
- A small axe
- Cooking pots
- Water coolers for hot / cold water
- Recipes !!!
- Food storage containers
- Garbage bags
- Tablecloth and clip (or tape)
- Bottles of water
- Saucers, glasses
- Knife, Fork, Spoon or Sporks and such
- Biodegradable soap
- Sponge for pots or pans
- Portable sink (if not the camp)
- Quick dry towels
- Toilet paper
- Sun cream
- Lips moisturizer
- Insect repellent
- Hand disinfectant
- Alcohol or antiseptic wipes
- First aid kit / pharmacy with the necessary
- Medicines you may need
- Toothbrush, toilet kit
- Brush / comb
- Ear plugs
- Biodegradable soap
- Water shower bag
- The necessary for menstruation
- Portable / chemical toilets
- GPS and extra batteries
- A map, a compass and training to be able to read it
- Cellphone or any other device to be able to communicate if you hike far
- Hiking gear for single day hikes (backpack, sturdy shoes and proper socks, first aid kit, water, jacket/raincoat, sun cream, snacks). For multi day hikes plan accordingly.
- If you plan to hike with your kids while in camping read this.
- In some really wild places you may need equipment to be able to defend yourself.
- If you plan to take your dog and some hiking then read this
General Instructions for Camping Gear
To chose properly you need to consider your needs and what you like. For example, in places where having a fridge is not an option then you need suitable food. If you camp and hike for many days then again your needs are different. In such cases proper nutrition and overall gear weight plays a significant role. We will expand on such in a different article.
To tell you the truth, in most camps there are 2 key players: meat and pasta. You will see many cooking on fire or simply boiling their preferred pasta.
Whatever social, family, solo game you like bring that. For example: A frisbie, board games, a deck of cards, a ball and more. Don’t forget your camera, extra memory cards, binoculars, books and such.
Your camping gear will change depending on the days, terrain, persons involved. The whole thing is to have fun and not to spend hours for getting simple things done. For example there is no need to try to light fire by rubbing 2 sticks. Just use a lighter.
If you like to add more things to our list please do! In case you want to read a very ultimate list of things for all cases then read this post too.