You want to live a long, healthy life? Then Ikaria, a Greek island, is maybe the place you want to be. Or…, who knows to stay there forever! Are there some strange and mysterious secrets ready to be revealed about their longevity? Or, simply inhabitants of Ikaria have adopted a natural and normal way of living? This secret can be part of the general philosophy of Greeks. Where many things are done in their own time, without rush, without the sense of emergency. Could it be Ikaria to be an island where all these things are summoned?
The island of Ikaria is located in the far east side of Greece and got its name by Icarus. And if you google it around you will find many stories and studies. Ikaria is such a phenomenon to many around the world. Scientists have landed repeatedly in the island to conduct studies and define the secrets of longevity. Apart from Ikaria research has also been conducted to the island of Sardinia, in Loma Linda, Mexico, Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica, and the island of Okinawa, Japan In these island it is recorded ten times more longevity with people aged over 90 years compared to the average rate in the world. A conference has been conducted for this specific issue. It was entitled: “Pursuing longevity: from prevention to therapy” . For centuries it was known as a health destination because of natural hot springs on the island.
Time passes in a very slow way in Ikaria. If you are in a hurry and ask for speedy vacations and clubbing (like going to Mykonos, for example) then this island is not for you. You will come to Ikaria, only if you want to relax, meditate and skip the daily fast pace you were practicing all year long in your business. As said, things move slow in Ikaria. Slow and healthy. You will enjoy a great and healthy cuisine and local wine, plenty of fish and vegetables, which of course, are part of the longevity secret recipe.
Definitely try tea from local herbs. They will provide great value and clean up your organism. And don’t forget to daily eat local olive oil. Man of Ikaria, say that it is one of the secret for improved and better sexual performance.
Here is a nice video from BBC
International articles for Ikaria
- BBC: The Greek island of old age
- CNN: Commentary: How to outlive your doctor
- NYTimes: The Island Where People Forget to Die
- IKARIA, GREECE: The Oldest People On Earth Reveal The Secrets To Living Past 100
- The island of (almost) eternal life
- Island of Ikaria Offer Lessons for Longer Living
- The Secret of Ikaria Island: sex, fish and longevity
- WPost: A Greek island’s secrets to long life, in 11 bullet points
- An uncommon island called Ikaria
- What We Can Learn from the Greek-Island Diet—and What We Already Know
And some scientific research data
- Sociodemographic and Lifestyle Statistics of Oldest Old People (>80 Years) Living in Ikaria Island: The Ikaria Study