You are never too old to enjoy one of the most exhilarating experiences in the world, sailing. As the boat speeds along,sails billowing surrounded by sea, with the sun shining down on your boat there is nothing like it in the world. Even if you are a complete novice you can still enjoy this experience by going out with an experienced skipper who will ease you into crewing gently.
There is nothing to fear from the sea unless you tackle a tough challenge like the Round the World Yacht Race where you have to round Cape Horn but you have to respect it as it can change anytime. But an experienced sailor knows when it is safe to go out sailing for pleasure and when they should remain in harbor.
A calm sea and no wind is not ideal for sailing as your sails remain still and you have to use your back-up engine, this may get you home but you will miss that great feeling of being carried along by the wind as your boat skims the waves.
Greece is a great place to enjoy a sailing holiday as there is so much choice.You can sail around the beautiful Greek islands visiting a different one everyday and you will find each island is unique in its own way. There are different areas to choose to go sailing and you can choose where to go according to your sailing ability.It does not matter what standard you are your Greek sailing holiday will remain etched in your memory forever and you will never want to experience any other kind of vacation again.
If you are a complete beginner you can book a flotilla 6-day holiday introducing you to sailing when every boat has a qualified and experienced instructor on board. This is a perfect way to learn to sail in magnificent surroundings. If you are an experienced sailor you will enjoy the challenging headwinds you will experience as you sail eastwards across the Aegean Sea.
Once you have felt the breeze on your face and listened to the waves lapping on the side of the boat you will be hooked for life, sailing will become a main part of your existence as you can it enjoy it day or night. There is nothing like being anchored under the stars in a calm sea and marveling at the universe above and the mighty ocean below.
Things a Novice Sailor Needs to Know
- Sailing is not dangerous, it is exciting and always offers new challenges as you grow in confidence.
- Always wear a life jacket and flat deck shoes and remember the weather can change suddenly so take sun cream and a waterproof.
- Go to an adventure center or sailing school to learn to sail where experienced instructors will take you out in light winds with not many other boats around. This will probably be on a reservoir before you are introduced to the open sea.
- Start with a small boat with one sail as it is easier to rig and you will soon progress to larger boats. Also learn when the boom is about to swing to avoid being hit by it.
- Your instructor will teach you capsize drill, this is so you will not be afraid when it happens out sailing. Even the most experienced sailors capsize and you need to learn how to handle a capsized boat and it is nothing to be afraid of.
So that’s it. Get ready and turn your love for sea, to an amazing experience through sailing. Let the wind lift you up and smell the salty air.